Wednesday 12 March 2014

First Aid - Burns




Today I was in a building -- which I will not name for obvious reasons  -- and I scalded myself on hot water.  The alarmed staff around me hunted for a first aider - of course no one  was around but I didn't need first aid I just need access to a tap.  Eventually they found the first aid kit.  Just as well that I didn't have a heart attack!!!

"What do you need," they shouted hunting through the kit.  "Nothing I replied just cold running water." But I was in a hurry with a meeting to get to, so I ran into the ladies toilet and put my hand under the cold tape for a few minutes. That will do I thought.

How wrong was I ? And moreover shame on me I have been running first aid courses at Safe and Sound for over 10 years and I know exactly what to do. Run my hand under cold water for 10 minutes  -- and no less.  So what has happened? a massive blister and a lot of  pain.  If I had taken just 10 minutes to do what I needed to do then I might well have recovered quicker.

Interestingly A & E departments in hospitals frequently tell us that if people knew what to do with a burn then they would not have to carry out as many skin grafts.

If there is a question of electrocution, the golden rule is not to touch the victim until the mains current is off and the person is no longer in touch with the source of electricity.  , preferably in an accident and emergency ward.

 So What to Do?

 

·         Cool burn with cold running water for at least ten minutes. If cold water is not available, use another cold, harmless liquid, such as milk

·         Get medical help for any burn or scald which is larger than a 50p coin

·         Remember to keep calm and give lots of comfort and reassurance to the  victim

·         DO NOT remove burnt clothing which has stuck to the skin. Burnt clothing is sterile and will protect the wound.

·         Remove carefully any jewellery, belts, restrictive clothing or footwear (that is not stuck to the skin) from the injured area before it begins to swell

·         Cover the burn with a clean, dry, non fluffy dressing and secure loosely.  A plastic bag or piece of cling film are ideal

·         DO NOT put butter oil or any sort of grease or lotion on a burn or scald – these can cause further damage and increase the risk of infection

·         DO NOT apply sticking plasters or any other type of adhesive dressing to the skin – they will cause pain and damage when removed

·         DO NOT break blisters – you may introduce infection into the wound

·         DO  NOT give the child anything to eat or drink with the exception of painkillers

·         Give the recommended dose of children’s  or adult's painkiller syrup
 
For details about Safe and Sound First Aid at Work or any other first aid course in Greater London call 0208 445 8998 or go to www.safeandsound.uk.net
 

No comments:

Post a Comment